Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Getting Compiz to work on Suse 10.3 with a ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 driver

Recently I had to try and configure compiz for a Suse set-up. Pretty much the same as on Ubuntu, but with some twists and more graphics. I present this post mostly so I'll remember how I did it later; eventually I'll add screenshots and y'know, real explanations to the thing.

First, open up YaST, go to the hardware tab and select Graphics Card and Monitor. In there, de-select dual head support (unless you need it), select 3D graphics support and click "options" next to your graphics card. In there, find the option that says XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, select it and hit ok.

Back up and then open /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Under the server layout section, add
Option "AIGLX" "true"
.

You should be good to go; however, you may have to get rid of libIndirectGL.so.1 by typing
mv libIndirectGL.so.1 libIndirectGL.so.1.old
as root. I did this, and my compiz works fine, but I may have been solving a problem I didn't actually have when I used it. Since I've finally got compiz working fine, I don't want to tinker. Also, it's possible to simply add
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
straight to the device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf rather than selecting it graphically.

Now, just install compiz using the 1-click install, and you should be good to go.

No comments: